The Jon Ward Hereford 5K 2023
Sunday 20th August 2023
- 1st Male Robin Wood, Builth & District Running Club
- 2nd Male Sam Juson, Croft Ambrey Running Club
- 3rd Male Luke Mason, Hereford Couriers Running Club
- 1st Female Donna Morris, Builth & District Running Club
- 2nd Female Clare Hawling, Cheltenham & County Harriers
- 3rd Female Faye Lewis, Hereford Couriers Running Club.
Full Results can be found here:
£15 (affiliated) £17 (unattached)
Chip Timed | Bespoke Medal | Fast & Flat Course
The Couriers are pleased to announce the return of the Jon Ward 5k race, come join us on our super-quick 2 lap course, the race will be chip timed & suitable for runners of all abilities, the route will be fully marked out and marshalled & we’ve even got a medal for all finishers.
This race is held in memory of ex-Hereford Courier Jon Ward who sadly passed away in June 2020.
All profits from the race will be donated to charity in memory of Jon.
Jon was a decorated runner, competing across every distance from 5k to Ultra Running. He was a proud member of the 100 Marathon Club and many locally knew him well, Jon was a Courier from 2010 – 2017.
Number collection will be on the day, head to race HQ and allow plenty of time to collect your number before 9.30am.
Everyone is welcome.
- Race Date: Sunday 20th August 2023
- Start Time: 10.00am
- Entries: Entry Fees: £15.00 – Affiliated / £17.00 – Unattached, with all profits from the race going to charity.
- Venue: Hereford Racecourse, Roman Road, Hereford. HR4 9QU.
- Facilities/ Parking: Hereford Racecourse is race HQ & start & has adequate parking
- Distance/ Terrain: 5k – Road with short gravel track.
- Course Details: The route is on open roads – albeit through a quiet housing estate, the route is very flat and fast (Ideal for that PB), the course is suitable for runners of all abilities. Full UK Athletics race licence.
- Prizes: Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed male and females which will be presented post race.
- Medals: We have a medal for all finishers
- Results: Will be uploaded to http://www.herefordcouriers.com post race & http://www.readysetgotiming.co.uk.
Terms And Conditions
- The entrant must agree to the following terms and conditions.
- This event is to be held under UK Athletics rules. Race Licence applied for. The entrant agrees to abide by the rules of the event and that the officials’ decision is final.
- The entrant confirms that they have no medical disability that would endanger themselves or others by taking part (and will not run if unfit to do so on the day).
- The entrant understands that the organisers will not be liable for any loss, damage, injury or illness howsoever caused as a result of entering the race. The entrant agrees that during the race they will obey marshals’ instructions. No dogs will be allowed on the course.
- If for any reason beyond our control the race has to be cancelled on the day (“Act of god” Flooding, Accidents, incidents etc) we cannot guarantee a full refund or that the race will be rescheduled. We will however do everything possible to resolve any unfortunate situation.
- All entrants shall be deemed to have made him/herself familiar with, and agreed to be bound by the UKA Anti-Doping Rules and to submit to the authority of UK Anti-Doping in the application and enforcement of the Anti-Doping Rules. The UKA Anti-Doping Rules apply to entrants participating in the sport of Athletics, for 12 months from the [date of entry], whether or not the entrant is a citizen of, or resident in, the UK. http://www.uka.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/210507-UKA-AD-Rules-3-combined-final.pdf For added clarification, the date of entry is the date of the event
The race in it’s 3rd year is held in memory of ex-Hereford Courier Jon Ward who sadly passed away in June 2020.Jon was a decorated runner, competing across every distance from 5k to Ultra Running. He was a proud member of the 100 Marathon Club and many locally knew him well, Jon was a Courier from 2010 – 2017.
Malachi Cashmore was close behind for 2nd Male with 2nd female going to Donna Morris of Builth & District Running Club
Emma Powell of Western Tempo & Eric Apperley Croft Ambrey Running Club finished third female & male
In the relays, it’s was a great win for the Couriers men team with the young Cheltenham & County Harriers ladies finishing first female team & ‘The Tradies’ from South Wales picking up the mixed team award
All the results can be found here: https://www.readysetgotiming.co.uk/2022resultsA big thankyou to all the helpers and marshalls for supporting the race.
We would like to say thanks to our race sponsors Profile & Turquoise Cleaning Company along with our race partners Ready Set Go, Point To Point Services & Hereford Racecourse for all of your support of todays event All proceeds from this race go to the Charity Mind, if you would like to donate in memory of Jon please visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jonward5kandrelays22
Yesterday we held our 2nd Jon Ward 5k, Congratulations to everyone who raced in memory of Jon & helping us raise funds for Mind Charity.
Overall winner of the race was Charlie Jones of Western Tempo Running Club who finished in 15:03 on our speedy course & with Donna Morris of Builth & District Running Club finishing first female in 17:50.
Tempo’s Rhys Park (15:11) and Alastair Campbell (15:45) of Stroud & District Athletic Club picked up 2nd and 3rd place in the men’s race.
Chepsow Harriers Duo Cherry Fowler (18:53) & Nikki Morgan (19:08) finishing 2nd and 3rd in the female race.
The full results can be found here: ://my.raceresult.com/177687/results
If you would like to donate you can contribute through our just giving page here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/JonWardHereford5k2021
A huge thankyou to everyone who made the event happen & good luck to everyone taking part in the virtual race this week.
Western Tempo duo Dominic James and Jemma Cooper took the men’s and women’s victories respectively.
It was the first time runners returned to competitive race action since lockdown with the event having a host of Covid-19 safety measures in place.
After the opening lap a group of front runners were still together which the leaders completed in seven minutes and 36 seconds.
James made his winning move on the second lap and pulled out a winning margin of five seconds- completing the course in 15-03.
Western Tempo took the top three men’s podium places with Ben Price second (15-08) and Rhys Park finishing third (15-13).
In the women’s event the leaders were also together completing their opening of two laps in 8-51.
Cooper made her winning move on the finishing lap completing the course in 17-33 to win by 11 seconds.
A sprint finish for second saw Katie Synge-Curtis (Hereford Couriers) edge out Natalie Hackett (Hallamshire Harriers) with both runners finishing on 17-44.
The full race results can be found here: https://my.raceresult.com/158800/results?lang=en
The event is set to raise £3,000 to support the Samaritans in the work they do, you can still donate to our just giving page by visiting https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jonwardhereford5k
Please have a read of the following COVID-19 (Coronavirus) guidance below for Runners, Spectators and Volunteers