Here are the brief and erratic thoughts and moments of a young GB age grouper competing in Chicago for the Triathlon World Championships..
- Time difference…zzzzz!
- See the sights – WOW, what a city!
- Mmmmm, American breakfasts – Oh wait I have a World Champs to compete in.
- Look cool, but Converse trainers will mean stiff calves (not good), trainers all the way.
- But everyone else is wearing Converse!
- Calves are good, but I want to wear Compression – shorts no good.
- Look cool, sleep in Compression wear.
- ‘How do I switch the air con off?!’
- Woo, go Non Stanford, Jodie Stimpson and Vicky Holland!
- The silence at pre race day meal.
- Zone in. Can happen at any moment, but when it does – it’s serious.
- Klaxon goes..
- Arms and legs everywhere, fighting for position then BANG! Fist (probably Mexican) to the face causing goggles to slip, s**t my contact lens! Can I see? Can I recompose and continue? Sort yourself man!
- BANG, same again, this time a foot (definitely Mexican). Unlucky – hit the bike hard.
- Through the tunnel used in Batman: The Dark Knight, WOAH this is fast – Na na na na..!
- Gaining. Run time.
- ‘Go GB’. Dead turn. ‘Head up Taylor – run ’em down, run ’em down’.
- Ahhh – Ice bath.
- Go Dad go!! He was flying. The sense of pride.
- Mmmm, beer.
- Go Jonny Brownlee! Race winner, Mario Mola just ran a 29min 10km in a Triathlon!
- Now enjoy the American Breakfasts.
- ‘Oh there’s Mario Mola in the street, photo Mr. Mola?’
- Chicago skyline from the 64th Floor in the John Hancock Tower, breathtaking.